Southwest Airlines Pet Policy
Are you planning to travel with your pet on Southwest Airlines Flight? If yes, then read Southwest Airlines Pet Policy for all the information so that you can fly with your pet comfortably. Southwest Airlines understands the importance of keeping your pet by your side during your journey.
Read Also: Southwest Airlines Reservation
With the information on pet policy, you can fly hassle-free with your companion. In this article, we will explain to you the details of Southwest Airlines’ pet policy. This article provides you with everything that you need to know to ensure a smooth travel experience.
Pets Allowed on Southwest Airlines Flights
Southwest Airlines warmly welcomes pets on board, but it’s important to understand the specific guidelines and restrictions. Here’s we give some details about the types of pets that allowed on Southwest Airlines:
Cats And Dogs
Southwest Airlines allows domestic cats and dogs to travel in-cabin on most of their flights. However, there are a few essential criteria to meet:
- Your pet must be fully vaccinated and at least eight (8) weeks old.
- The carrier must be leak-proof, well-ventilated, and fit beneath the seat in front of you.
- Your furry companion should remain inside the carrier throughout the flight.
- Only one pet carrier is permitted per passenger, and a maximum of six (6) pets are allowed on each flight.
Types of Pet Carriers
To ensure the safety and comfort of your pet, it’s crucial to have the right carrier. Southwest Airlines specifies the following requirements:
- The size of the carrier must not exceed 18.5 inches long, 8.5 inches high, and 13.5 inches wide.
- It should be made of a sturdy material such as hard or soft-sided carriers.
- Carriers with wheels, partitions, or expandable sides are not accepted.
- The carrier should be well-ventilated, have proper locking mechanisms, and provide ample room for your pet to move comfortably.
Booking Your Pet’s Travel: Southwest Airlines Pet Policy
Before heading to the airport, it’s essential to make advance preparations for your pet’s travel. Follow these steps to ensure a stress-free booking process:
Making a Reservation
When booking your own flight with Southwest Airlines, make sure to inform the airline that you will be traveling with a pet. It’s crucial to reserve your pet’s spot in advance, as Southwest Airlines only allows a limited number of pets on each flight.
Special Considerations for Service Animals
If you have a service animal with you that you take with you on the flight, then you have to follow the DOT rules. DOT refers to the Department of Transportation. Apart from this, you need to submit the necessary documents to ensure compliance.
Southwest Airlines charges a reasonable pet fare for each one-way trip. The current pet fare rate is $95 per carrier, per flight. It’s important to note that this fee is non-refundable, so make sure to include it in your travel budget.
Tips for a Smooth Travel Experience with Your Pet
Traveling with your pet can be a very exciting adventure but apart from this, it is also necessary that both feel comfortable during flight. Here we give some best tips for a smooth travel experience with your pet. Please check them.
- Ensure your pet’s health and vaccination records are up to date.
- Double-check that your pet’s carrier meets Southwest Airlines’ requirements.
- Familiarize your pet with the carrier prior to the flight to reduce anxiety.
Potty Breaks and Exercise
- Take your pet for a walk and offer bathroom breaks before heading to the airport.
- Allow your pet to stretch their legs and get some exercise during layovers, if applicable.
- Place a familiar blanket or item with your scent in the carrier to provide comfort to your pet.
- Communicate with your pet in a calm and reassuring manner to alleviate stress.
- Offer treats and water to keep your pet hydrated and content during the journey.
This is all about southwest airlines’ pet policy. Apart from this, in this post, we covered pet fees and how to make your flight comfortable for your pet.